Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Classes & Clubs/Societies

Despite my adventurous and fun posts, I AM going to class here at DCU. This is the only the second week and I haven't had any assignments yet, so that is nice :)

CM 202 - Media Studies
CM 261 - Crime & the Media
CM 310 - Press & Public Relations
CM 334 - Perspectives in the Information Society
CM 369 - Feature Writing

A couple of my classes are really interesting with good professors, and some are extremely boring - no different than in the states.

I got to class Tuesday - Friday. Tuesday and Thurday I go 2-6, Wednesdays only 12-1, and Fridays 2-4. I'm glad that I have a three day weekend, although my schedule wasn't by choice. Here there is only one class time and offering, so I guess I just lucked out. My schedule is perfect because I can go out on the weekdays and still get enough rest before class the next day!

Everyone here at DCU joins clubs and societies, you're lame if you don't. It's a good way to meet people and do fun things. I had the hardest time joining clubs because there were so many and I wanted to join them all! But I had to limit myself because it's 4 euros to join and you won't have time if you join too many. Right now I joined three, but am debating like 6 others (which is way too many!)

SURF AND SAILING - I mainly joined this club because they travel throughout Ireland a lot, almost every weekend. Each trip lasts all weekend and is about 20-40 euros, which includes travel, accommodation, wet suits, etc. Although the idea of surfing and sailing in the winter in Ireland sounds freezing, it sounds really cool as well! The first weekend they are just going out of town and partying, no surf or sail.

E & S - This is just a club that everyone joins. You get discounts to enter clubs and drink specials at pubs. By paying the 4 euros adn going to your first pub, it already pays itself off. They also go on two mystery trips throughout the year. You go on a bus/train/plane and don't know where you are going until you arrive. Last year they went to Amsterdam & Galway! They do one trip in Ireland and one abroad. It's extremely cheap travel as well!

CELTIC SUPPORTERS SOCIETY - I had no interest in joining this society AT ALL. But some guy stopped me and gave me some chocolate and then I was hooked. haha. I was just talking to him and it sounded really appealing and all the people there were really cool and a lot of fun. This is a society that supports a soccer team. Every week they go to pubs and watch a game on tv (which I experience already and I LOVE IT!). EVeryone is cheering, drinking, and just having a great time! They also take a few trips to watch live games. They're going to Glasgow, Scotland and as a group its only about 20 euros for the entire weekend. It's pretty amazing!!

There are so many other clubs I am contemplating!

THE SPORTS: Women's Rugby, Camogie (which is women's hurling), Canoeing, Fencing (my roomie wants me to join with her), Cave Diving, yoga, volleyball, and basketball. I want to limit myself to one sport and I just can't decide! I don't think I'll go with the sports that I've already played, but it is tempting.

I will most likely join the hiking club (which I could not find today!) - they travel all around Ireland as well.

I'm excited to meet new people, go on trips, and experience new things!!!

1 comment: