Sunday, October 11, 2009

Irish Terminology

Living with three Irish roommates has made me learn new words or sayings almost every day. I never thought there would be so many differences. I'm sure I've learned a lot more, but only recently have I started keeping track.

These are my roomies, who I am very lucky to have. Living with four other people could be a disaster, but I live with some extremely nice, easy going people. Yvonne and Lisa are from Ireland and Nan is from China. The poor man of the house, Shane, isn't here. He's a great sport for putting up with four girls :) And probably one of the only guys we could stand living with! They are all wonderful.

Photobucket

*Taking the piss = messing/fooling around
*rubbish = trash
*garda = police
*boot = trunk (of a car)
*bonet = hood (of a car)
*trashcan = dust bin
*what's the craic? = what's up? - Craic also means fun. So you would say, "that party was a good craic."
*lift = elevator
*to let = to rent (an apartment, etc)
*queue = line
*slainte = cheers
*rashers = bacon
*knackers = trailer trash. It is describing this type of person, but can also be used as an insult
*plasters = bandaids
*plat = braid (in hair)
*bobble = hair tie
*post= mail
*ringing = calling. For example, "she rang me today."
*mind your step = watch your step
*mind yourself = I think this means be good. Yvonne's parents told us this when they left our apartment the other day.
*crisps = chips
*biscuits = cookies

Instead of saying "see ya," the Irish say "see yas."

"Cheers" is used to say goodbye or thank you.

3 comments:

  1. So do you just pretend to be cool and act like you understand, or voice your confusion? Some of these must have been hard to figure out, like knackers... do they even have trailers in Europe?! Did Mom tell you I'm hosting Thanksgiving this year? I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I've heard most of these from British/Irish folks around here, with similar confusion. Try this one: "It does what it says on the tin." I'm not sure if the Irish have it, but it's popular in England, and I personally think it's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure when people say something that sounds like "plat" for a braid in hair, it's the same word as "plait" in books.

    ReplyDelete